Property Record
100 S 3RD ST
Architecture and History Inventory
Historic Name: | Rodolf Building |
---|---|
Other Name: | Rowleys Office Equipment |
Contributing: | No |
Reference Number: | 32105 |
Location (Address): | 100 S 3RD ST |
---|---|
County: | La Crosse |
City: | La Crosse |
Township/Village: | |
Unincorporated Community: | |
Town: | |
Range: | |
Direction: | |
Section: | |
Quarter Section: | |
Quarter/Quarter Section: |
Year Built: | 1868 |
---|---|
Additions: | 1874 1878 |
Survey Date: | 1996 |
Historic Use: | large retail building |
Architectural Style: | Italianate |
Structural System: | Unknown |
Wall Material: | Brick |
Architect: | William Nichols |
Other Buildings On Site: | |
Demolished?: | No |
Demolished Date: |
National/State Register Listing Name: | La Crosse Commercial Historic District |
---|---|
National Register Listing Date: | 9/2/1994 |
State Register Listing Date: | 10/8/1993 |
National Register Multiple Property Name: |
Additional Information: | Original brick surface covered by contemporary screen front; store front completely altered. Structure would be contributing if screen were removed. Although a very historic building, originally a significant example of Italianate commercial design, the architectural character has been completely covered by a modern screen facade on the east and north sides. Cream brick structure; pointed arch windows and doors; stained glass windows; paired square towers with sextagonal towers flanking facade have ornamental stepped buttresses; brick piers and corbeled brick along the eaves articulate the side elevations; pointed arch entrances into gable end with large Tudor styled arched window above; elevated foundation. The Emmanuel Lutheran Church is a well preserved significant example of early 20th century Gothic Revival church architecture in La Crosse. The congregation was begun by North La Crosse German Lutherans who wanted their own church. In 1905, the German Evangelical Lutheran Church was located on Avon at the southeast corner of St. Paul Street. In approximately 1907, the name was changed to the Emmanuel German Evangelical Lutheran Church at the same location. By 1909, the congregation is in the present building on the northwest corner of Avon at St. Paul. Since the 1906 (April draft) Sanborn-Perris Map does not indicate any church building complete or under construction at the latter address, we can assume that the new building was begun in 1906 and completed 1908. Related buildings: Immanuel Lutheran School (806 St. Paul Street). |
---|---|
Bibliographic References: | A. History of La Crosse County, (1991). p. 625. B. La Crosse (Wisconsin) Chronicle, 16 September 1891 and 27 September 1891. LaCrosse Tribune 4/15/2002. Crocker, Leslie. Buildings of La Crosse through Time. La Crosse Public Library Archives Department: La Crosse, 2015. |
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |