Property Record
2104 SOUTH AVE
Architecture and History Inventory
Historic Name: | John Gund Brewery Malt House and Brew House |
---|---|
Other Name: | Heileman Malt House |
Contributing: | |
Reference Number: | 33477 |
Location (Address): | 2104 SOUTH AVE |
---|---|
County: | La Crosse |
City: | La Crosse |
Township/Village: | |
Unincorporated Community: | |
Town: | |
Range: | |
Direction: | |
Section: | |
Quarter Section: | |
Quarter/Quarter Section: |
Year Built: | 1895 |
---|---|
Additions: | |
Survey Date: | 1996 |
Historic Use: | brewery/distillery/winery |
Architectural Style: | Romanesque Revival |
Structural System: | |
Wall Material: | Brick |
Architect: | |
Other Buildings On Site: | |
Demolished?: | Yes |
Demolished Date: |
National/State Register Listing Name: | Not listed |
---|---|
National Register Listing Date: | |
State Register Listing Date: |
Additional Information: | Round arched windows with stone mouldings on upper stories linked by stone belt course. Battlements along top of building and corbelling along small projecting cornice at top of structure; segmental arched six over six windows with stone mouldings linked by stone belt course on lower level. Round arched entrance with stone voussoirs and arched moulding. Brick facade divided by brick piers articulated by white stone. Five sided bay window projecting from front facade. Railway enters building at the rear. Rear of building has been altered continuously over the years. The architectural significance of this structure has been seriously damaged by the alterations of the structure through the years. The malt house has been altered extensively since Heileman purchased it. The entire northern third of the original building was removed between 1941 and 1954. This contained the brew house and the malt storage room. Earlier, the original ice building at the middle of the present building was replaced with a brick addition. Between 1941 and 1954 the northwest quarter of this was razed. The only part of the building remaining is the part of the facade facing South Avenue and the southwest corner of the building. John Gund established the Empire Brewery in 1872. The company became a large and successful business. In 1897 a disastrous fire destroyed much of the company but it was rebuilt in 1898. Gund was a major figure in the history of the city. Upon his retirement in 1920, the Heileman Company acquired the business. Related buildings: Gund Office Bldg. (2111 South Avenue); Gund Stables (2219 South Avenue); Bottling Works (2130 South Avenue); Racking House (2016 South Avenue). Demolished between 1996 and 2003. |
---|---|
Bibliographic References: | (A) J. Gund Brewery Map, La Crosse Historical Society, Swarthout Museum. (B) La Crosse Republican-Leader, 1 June 1899. Google Maps and Google Earth Pro Historic Images. |
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, State Historic Preservation Office, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin |