Wisconsin Historical Society

Property Record

354 N 3RD ST

Architecture and History Inventory
354 N 3RD ST | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:First English Lutheran Church
Other Name:St. Thomas & St. John's Episcopal Church
Contributing:
Reference Number:48033
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):354 N 3RD ST
County:St. Croix
City:New Richmond
Township/Village:
Unincorporated Community:
Town:
Range:
Direction:
Section:
Quarter Section:
Quarter/Quarter Section:
PROPERTY FEATURES
Year Built:1906
Additions:
Survey Date:1983
Historic Use:church
Architectural Style:Gothic Revival
Structural System:
Wall Material:Brick
Architect:
Other Buildings On Site:
Demolished?:No
Demolished Date:
DESIGNATIONS
National/State Register Listing Name: First English Lutheran Church
National Register Listing Date:5/31/1988 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/1/1989 12:00:00 AM
National Register Multiple Property Name:Multiple Resources of New Richmond
NOTES
Additional Information:A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the Wisconsin Historical Society, Division of Historic Preservation. This 1 1/2 story church has a brick exterior. The plan is rectangular on this 1906 Gothic Revival building. There is a raised basement with rock faced material on it. A stone beltline is above this and then the surface material is brick. The roof is gable and has the gable end facing the road. Windows have stone sills.

The front or north side has a 2 1/2 story steeple. This is a square plan and is centrally placed. The bottom two stories are brick and there is a stone belt line that is at the same height as the eave side of the roof. The first story of the tower contains the entry. The frame is lancet shaped with the top filled in with wood. There rae narrow sidelights. Above the door is a lancet window with arched mullions (or tracery). The top of the tower hsa a cornice. Above this is a clapboard bell-tower (bell gone, organ pipes in this area). Lancet shaped openings have louvers. A steeply pitched bell cast roof over this has a cross on top. The front body of the church has identical lancet windows on each side of the tower. The east corner has a stone with "by C.D. (or G.D.) 1906" on it.

The east and west sides are identical. Each has three 1/1 basement windows adn three lancet window symmetrically placed. The back has a small one story addition with a gable roof and a door.

The church sits on a corner lot. Landscaping consists mainly of evergreens placed close to the entry. This obstructs the front view. This is only old church renmaining in the city that is used for eligious purposes. Only two others remain and they have been altered for other uses (see SC25-32, 152 East Fourt Street and SC22-6, 405 South Dakota Avenue). The church appears to be in excellent condition. It hsa retained its architectural integrity. It is of a conservative and frequently seen style and has no details or characteristics that would give it architectural significance.

The First English Lutheran Church was begun c.1892 by Swedish settlers. Pastor J.T. Kjollgren was the organizer. Church services were held in the Norwegian Lutheran Church (gone) on North Third Street. Rent was $1.00 per service. In 1906, it was decided to build a church farther west on North Third Street.

Plans were begun in 1906 to raise money for the church and to get a permanent pastor. The Swidish Lutherans of New Richmond, Star Prairie and Glenwood were to put on a benefit. The third ward of the city, where it would be built, and was populated by Norwegian and Swedish immigrants. Most of these came to work in the mills.

The new city building had been built out of concrete and it was decided to use this for the church also. Reverand J.A. Gustafson of Amery was to become the pastor. The "Famous Arpi Quartette of Gustavus Adolphus College (St. Peter, MN)" gave a benefit concert for the church. It was held at Hagan's Opera House (see SC24-17, 230 South Knowles Avenue). Tickets were 35 cents, 50 cents reserved or 25 cents for children. Work on the "modern style" church began in August. B. & W. Concrete of New Richmond had the contract to provide the bricks. Ten thousand were ordered for the foundation and 20,000 for the building itself.

Although the roof was not complete, the first services were held (in the basement) on January 5, 1907. The sermons were in Swedish and English.

In 1945 the First Lutheran Church (Augustant Snyod) and The Norwegian Lutheran Church (Evangelical) merged and became part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. A new church was begun in 1947 and they worship there now. Around the time of the merger St. Thomas Episcopal Church bought the church. The Episcopal church was originally part of the Hudson parish (c.1858). Around 1867 the New Richmoand parish was in existance. In 1991 there were 20 members but no church. A church was built but was lost in the 1899 tornado. meetings were held in members homes and other churches until a permanent home was found in 1930. The interior of this church was redone to conform to Angelican traditions. In 1968 the steeple and roof were repaired and the church was painted red.

This church does not appear to have any historical signigficance. It is not associated with any significant people or events. Although information is scant, it would seem that this building did not play a major role in the ethnic development of the community. The Swedes and Norwegians had separate organizations until the 1945 merger. If there was any ethnic significane, it would be only for the Swedish community, not the larger Scandanavian community (including Norwegians). Scandia house (see ethnic chapter) probably played a larger role (this is now gone.
Bibliographic References:NEW RICHMOND NEWS 11/16/1995. NEW RICHMOND NEWS 12/28/1995.
RECORD LOCATION
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the record you were looking for, or have other questions about historic preservation, please email us and we can help:

If you have an update, correction, or addition to a record, please include this in your message:

  • AHI number
  • Information to be added or changed
  • Source information

Note: When providing a historical fact, such as the story of a historic event or the name of an architect, be sure to list your sources. We will only create or update a property record if we can verify a submission is factual and accurate.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".