Wisconsin Historical Society

Property Record

324 HIGH ST

Architecture and History Inventory
324 HIGH ST | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Cadwallader C. Washburn and Cyrus Woodman Bank
Other Name:
Contributing: Yes
Reference Number:60254
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):324 HIGH ST
County:Iowa
City:Mineral Point
Township/Village:
Unincorporated Community:
Town:
Range:
Direction:
Section:
Quarter Section:
Quarter/Quarter Section:
PROPERTY FEATURES
Year Built:1849
Additions:
Survey Date:19821993
Historic Use:bank/financial institution
Architectural Style:Boomtown
Structural System:
Wall Material:Brick
Architect:
Other Buildings On Site:0
Demolished?:No
Demolished Date:
DESIGNATIONS
National/State Register Listing Name: Mineral Point Historic District
National Register Listing Date:7/30/1971 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/1/1989 12:00:00 AM
National Register Multiple Property Name:
NOTES
Additional Information:THIS TWO-STORY, BOOMTOWN STYLED BUILDING WAS CONSTRUCTED IN 1849. IT FEATURES A RECTANGULAR SHAPED PLAN CONFIGURATION, A STONE FOUNDATION, A BRICK EXTERIOR, A STONE TRIM AND A GABLE ROOF. EXTENDED PARAPETS ARE LOCATED ON BOTH NORTH AND SOUTH FACADES. STONE LINTELS AND SILLS ADORN THE SIX-OVER-SIX WINDOWS ON THE SECOND STORY IN THE FRONT. THIS STRUCTURE IS IN GOOD CONDITION.

INDIVIDUALS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS BUILDING AND THE DATES OF THEIR ASSOCIATION INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: COLLEY P. FROST, FROM 1850 TO 1856; MARY C. READ, FROM 1858 TO 1873; JOHN H. WILLIAMS IN 1877; W. T. HENRY FROM 1880 TO 1885; HENRY DECKERT IN 1890; DAVID JACKO AND HIS HEIRS, FROM 1895 TO 1915; AND GEORGE JEUCK IN 1925. RETAIL VENTURES WERE LOCATED AT THIS SITE FROM 1884 TO 1929. (SEE BIB. REF. G). FROM 1884 TO 1915, THE STRUCTURE HOUSED A CARPENTER SHOP. SINCE 1992, 324 HIGH STREET HAS BEEN USED AS A RESIDENCE. ACCORDING TO THE INVENTORY CARD WHICH DESCRIBES THIS PROPERTY, THE BUILDING WAS OCCUPIED BY WASHBURN AND WOODMAN BANK AT AN UNSPECIFED DATE. Washburn and Woodman were two lawyers from Maine. Their law partnership lasted 11 years. The pair also owned the shot tower at Helena and engaged in successful land speculation. Washburn served as a general in the Civil War, was elected to Congress, and in 1871 was elected Governor. He then founded the Washburn-Crosby Flour Milling Co. of Minnesota which later became General Mills. THE DEED HAS A DATE OF 1848.

THE BUILDING WAS LOCALLY DESIGNATED, BECOMING PART OF THE MINERAL POINT LANDMARK DISTRICT IN 1972.

2012- "Built about 1849, this building was the site of the Washburn and Woodman Bank. C.C. Washburn, a lawyer from Maine, came to Mineral Point in 1842; Cyrus Woodman, also a lawyer and also from Maine, arrived here in 1844. The firm of Washburn and Woodman had many interests, including law, lumbering, land speculation, banking, and the shot tower at Helena, on the Wisconsin River. The partnership dissolved in 1855.

Washburn served five terms in the U.S. Congress, and was a brigadier general in the Civil War, in charge of the 2nd Cavalry Brigade. he was governor of the state of Wisconsin from 1872-1874. He was also a regent of the University of Wisconsin and president of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Washburn Observatory on the campus of UW-Madison is named for him. Washburn retired from politics in 1875 and devoted himself to his business enterprises. He was involved in the lumber industry in Northern Wisconsin and in the construction of the Minneapolis and St. Louis railroad. In 1866 he opened his first flour mill in Minneapolis, which later became known as General Mills.

Enzenroth & Crowley's carpenter shop was located here from 1884 to 1915. The front of the building was severely altered some time before 1971."
-from "A Field Guide to Mineral Point" by Nancy Pfotenhauer of the Mineral Point Historical Society, 1st Edition, 2012, Little Creek Press.
Bibliographic References:“Architecture/History Survey: Reconstruct USH 151: Dodgeville To Belmont.” WHS project number 92-0510IA/LT. October 1993. Prepared by Great Lakes Archaeological Research Center (GLARC). A. TAX ROLLS FOR THE CITY OF MINERAL POINT. ON FILE AT THE AREA RESEARCH CENTER OF THE LIBRARY OF THE UNIVERISTY OF WISCONSIN-PLATTEVILLE, PLATTEVILLE, WI. B. "MINERAL POINT GUIDE," MINERAL POINT: MINERAL POINT HISTORICAL SOCIETY, N.D. C. FRANK HUMBERSTONE, JR. AND ANNE D. JENKIN, "THE HOMES OF MINERAL POINT," MINERAL POINT: FOUNTAIN PRESS, 1976. D. C. W. BUTTERFIELD, "THE HISTORY OF IOWA COUNTY, WISCONSIN," CHICAGO: WESTERN HISTORICAL COMPANY, 1881. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES. E. GOERGE FIEDLER, "MINERAL POINT, A HISTORY," MADISON: STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF WISCONSIN, 1973. F. FIELD OBSERVATION BASED ON ARCHITECTURAL STYLE, BUILDING MATERIALS AND LOCAL HISTORY. G. SANBORN-PERRIS FIRE INSURANCE MAPS FOR THE CITY OF MINERAL POINT. ON FILE IN THE ARCHIVES OF THE STATE HISTORICAL SOCIETY OF WISCONSIN, MADISON. Historic Mineral Point Architectural Walking Tour brochure, 2000.
RECORD LOCATION
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the record you were looking for, or have other questions about historic preservation, please email us and we can help:

If you have an update, correction, or addition to a record, please include this in your message:

  • AHI number
  • Information to be added or changed
  • Source information

Note: When providing a historical fact, such as the story of a historic event or the name of an architect, be sure to list your sources. We will only create or update a property record if we can verify a submission is factual and accurate.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".