Wisconsin Historical Society

Property Record

220 E FRANKLIN ST

Architecture and History Inventory
220 E FRANKLIN ST | Property Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:William G. and Anne Williams House
Other Name:Franklin Victorian Bed and Breakfast
Contributing:
Reference Number:74756
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):220 E FRANKLIN ST
County:Monroe
City:Sparta
Township/Village:
Unincorporated Community:
Town:
Range:
Direction:
Section:
Quarter Section:
Quarter/Quarter Section:
PROPERTY FEATURES
Year Built:1900
Additions:
Survey Date:1989
Historic Use:house
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Structural System:
Wall Material:Clapboard
Architect:Stoltze and Schick
Other Buildings On Site:1
Demolished?:No
Demolished Date:
DESIGNATIONS
National/State Register Listing Name: Williams, William G. and Anne, House
National Register Listing Date:6/1/2005 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/21/2005 12:00:00 AM
National Register Multiple Property Name:
NOTES
Additional Information:A 'site file' exists for this property. It contains additional information such as correspondence, newspaper clippings, or historical information. It is a public record and may be viewed in person at the Wisconsin Historical Society, Division of Historic Preservation-Public History.

Steep gable roofs; gabled dormer; Palladian style windows; bay windows; open porches with Ionic columns on stone bases; original windows.

This dwelling was constructed in 1900. William G. Williams, who is associated with the dwelling, was an important banking official in the community, an owner of considerable business property in the community and also a pubilc servant. He and his wife Anna lived at this address from the date of its erection in 1900 to 1916 and perhaps later.

W.E. Williams paid the taxes on the home from 1899 to 1925, and W.E. may have been the father of some other relative of William G. Williams. W.E. Williams in 1897 lived at 111 North Benton Street.

William G. Williams was one of the first officers of the Monroe County Bnak, when it opened its doors in 1894, serving as Vice-President. He remained Vice-President of this important financial institution frmo 1894 until at least 1916. In the interim, William G. Williams built and owned the historic Williams Block building (1896) at 125 South Water Street. The Williams Block housed a number of important Sparta commerical enterpreises, such as department stores, grocery stores, and also the chambers of the Sparta City Council. In addition, WIlliam G. Williams also served as Monroe County Clerk for a period of time.

The William G. Williams house gains local historical significance under Criterion C in association with the productive life of William G. Williams. He was the vice-president of Monroe County Bank and leading developer of the Williams Block at 125 South Water Street during the years of significance of his dwelling from its building in 1900 to 1912 or later. William G. Williams thus gains importance in association with several topics, such as banking, in the Commercial theme.

Constructed on a high foundation of cut-stone, this Queen Anne house exhibits the irregularity of form, texture, and plan typical of the Queen Anne style. It also exhibits Classical Revival characteristics such as Ionic porch columns and Classical Palladian style windows.

This house was constructed in 1900. It was designed by :a Crosse architects Schick and Stoltze for W.G. Williams. Schick and Stoltze also designed Williams' commercial block constructed in 1896 at 125 South Water (MO35/8).

The W.G. Williams House is significant under Criterion C as an example of the Queen Anne style. Among the best Queen Anne influenced houses in the city, this late interpretation of the style exhibits picturesque irregularity of the style as well as the Classical Revival characteristic typical of the Queen Anne style in the 1890s and early 20th century.

Related building: coach house (MO 23/22) - separate record.
Bibliographic References:(A) City of Sparta, Tax Records, 1870-1045. (B) Sanborn Insurance Map 1889, 1894, 1900, 1911, 1922, 1931. (C) State Historical Society of Wisconsin, Preservation Office Files. (D) City of Sparta Property Tax Rolls, 1870-1940. (E) Sparta City Directory, 1903-1904. Sparta: R.C. Glover, Publisher, 1904. (F) City Directory of the City of Sparta, Wisconsin. Sparta: compiled and published by E.B. Bell, 1916. (G) Richards, Randolph A., History of Monroe County, Wisconsin: Past and Present, Including an Account of the Cities, Towns, and Villages of the County. Chicago: C.F. Cooper & Co., 1912, p. 304.
RECORD LOCATION
Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the record you were looking for, or have other questions about historic preservation, please email us and we can help:

If you have an update, correction, or addition to a record, please include this in your message:

  • AHI number
  • Information to be added or changed
  • Source information

Note: When providing a historical fact, such as the story of a historic event or the name of an architect, be sure to list your sources. We will only create or update a property record if we can verify a submission is factual and accurate.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Wisconsin Architecture and History Inventory, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".