in Wisconsin History
The evolution of gas stations in Wisconsin
Are We There Yet? Fill'er Up: The Evolution of Gas Stations in Wisconsin
The gas station developed in the early 20th century to provide fuel and other products to a growing number of drivers. Gas stations replaced the livery stable, a filling station precursor, that had provided all of the necessary items for travel in a convenient location. Although livery stables initially offered automotive supplies, it was ill-equipped to handle automobile traffic and was soon replaced with structures more accomodating to cars. This online exhibit explores the development of gas stations from a modest shed to a full-scale service and convenience center.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
|Creator:||Wisconsin History Explorer|
|Pub Data:||Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.|
|Citation:||"Are We There Yet? Fill'er Up: The Evolution of Gas Stations in Wisconsin." Wisconsin History Explorer. (Wisconsin Historical Society and the Wisconsin Department of Transportation); Online facsimile at: http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1321; Visited on: 3/1/2015|