Forest Lodge in Namekagon
Forest Lodge is a 16 building, family hunting and fishing retreat located on the south shore of Lake Namekagon in northern Wisconsin. The main lodge was begun in 1893 as a log cabin, substantial remodelings in 1914, the late 1920s and in the 1930s expanded its size, providing amenities for its affluent owners. The land on which the estate is located began as a logging camp. In 1889 Crawford Livingston of St. Paul, Minnesota, together with a group of hunters and fishermen from Chicago, leased the old logging camp as a retreat. Livingston purchased the property in 1902. It was his daughter and her husband, Mary Livingston and Theodore Griggs, who oversaw the construction and remodeling of most of the buildings on the grounds and developed the complex.