The State Historical Society of Wisconsin
State Historical Society of Wisconsin
The State Historical Society was founded in 1846, two years before statehood was granted, and in the next 50 years evolved from a single bookcase in the office of its first director into an important museum and library and a nationally known center of scholarship and historical research. It also houses one of the nation's greatest collections of materials related to American history. By 1896, the Society's collections had grown to the point where a new home was needed. Since the University of Wisconsin's library collection was in a similar condition, the State legislature decided to house the two institutions in a single new building located on the lower of the University campus. Completed in 1900 at a cost of $1,000,000, the new State Historical Society was the most expensive building built by the State up to that date. The University library moved into its own building across Library Mall in 1952.
Immigration and Settlement|
The Founding of Social Institutions
|Creator: ||Ferry and Clas
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 3/11/2014