Images of the planned community in Greendale, Wisconsin
In 1936, the United States Department of Agriculture's Resettlement Administration began constructing three new model communities, one of which was Greendale, Wisconsin. Built to demonstrate a new kind of suburban living, these "utopian" towns had specific areas designated for business, city government, homes, and cultural and recreational activities. All of the property was owned by the government and rented to families based on specific income levels and family size. Some exceptions were made for those with specialized skills such as doctors. To prevent rapid expansion, Greendale residents tightly controlled all new development. Opened to new residents on May 1, 1938, Greendale's administrative structure remained intact until 1952, when houses were sold to the renters for between $7000 and 10,000 dollars.
Industrialization and Urbanization|
Depression and Unemployment
|Creator: ||Miller, Raymond J.
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin Historical Images.
|Citation: ||Greendale, Wisconsin. Wisconsin Historical Images.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 3/12/2014